4th Blog- Time To Plan

    

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/C5112AQEPBAcQs0lvhw/article-cover_image-shrink_600_2000/0/1520102058641?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=g6lVOQRZOqBpxw_zVzqzy-q9ULD14m27XcvMrlKKltU

    September 21, 2024, was a day that would mark a turning point for me and my classmates. It was the last session in which our professor discussed the requirements we needed to fulfill in his subject. As graduate students in the Master in Information Technology program, we knew this was no ordinary class. There was a weight to the moment because, on this day, we discussed the most crucial project that would ultimately determine whether or not we would graduate on time: our capstone project.

    The instructions from our professor were clear and seemingly simple. He told us that we needed to start planning our capstone project now, in the first year of our program. This would give us a full year to develop it and ensure that by the time we reached our second year, we would be ready to complete it and graduate within the two-year timeframe. Unlike some previous batches of students, who had unfortunately stayed in the program for more than two years due to delays in their capstone projects, our professor was determined that we would avoid that fate. He emphasized the importance of early planning and preparation, warning us that procrastination or a lack of foresight would only lead to complications later on.

    Even though the advice seemed straightforward, I found my mind wandering as he continued to talk. It wasn’t that I wasn’t paying attention – in fact, it was quite the opposite. His words triggered memories from my undergraduate days, memories of being in a similar situation where he had given us equally valuable advice. I recalled a moment during my undergraduate studies when he was also our professor. In that particular subject, he had given us advice that was slightly different but carried the same message. He had said, “Ideally, you should start preparing for your capstone project during your first year, using every subject to practice and build towards it. That way, by the time you actually take on the capstone project, much of the work is already done.”

    That advice stuck with me back then, and now, hearing a similar message in my graduate program, it resonated even more deeply. Back in my undergraduate years, I hadn’t fully realized the wisdom of his words. But looking back, I could see how accurate he was. Like many students, I had made the mistake of waiting until the actual capstone subject to select my topic. This left me scrambling to pull everything together within a limited time frame, causing immense pressure. There were times when I thought I wouldn’t make it and that I might not graduate on time because of the workload. But in the end, I succeeded, though not without a lot of stress.

    This time, however, things would be different. As my professor continued his discussion, I realized the importance of learning from past experiences. I couldn’t afford to repeat the mistakes I made during my undergraduate years. The stakes were higher now, and I was determined to follow his advice. I needed to plan ahead, manage my time effectively, and avoid unnecessary stress. With that thought in mind, I committed myself to approaching my capstone project with the careful planning and organization it required.

    As I sat there, listening to my professor speak about the importance of early planning, my thoughts kept drifting back to my undergraduate capstone project. I remember how chaotic it was, especially during those last few weeks before the deadline. We had only started planning our project after we had already enrolled in the capstone subject, which gave us very little time to develop a solid idea, conduct research, and implement our solution. It felt like everything was happening all at once – brainstorming sessions, proposal submissions, coding, testing, and final presentations. There were many late nights, fueled by coffee and adrenaline, as my team and I rushed to meet our deadlines.

    One of the key lessons I learned from that experience was how important time management and project planning were. Back then, I thought I could manage everything without a detailed schedule. I was confident that I could handle the workload, even though I hadn’t mapped out the tasks that needed to be completed in specific time frames. That overconfidence almost cost me my graduation.

    I recall one particular instance when we were just a few weeks away from our presentation, and we realized that we still had so much work left to do. We had underestimated how long certain tasks would take, and we didn’t account for unexpected issues that popped up. For example, one of the features we were developing in our project wasn’t working as expected, and we had to troubleshoot it for days. Those were days we couldn’t afford to lose, but we didn’t have a choice. The project had to work. This led to even more stress, and we had to pull several all-nighters just to get the project to a functioning state.

    Although we managed to complete the project and present it on time, I remember the exhaustion I felt during that period. More than that, I remember how much better the experience could have been if only we had planned ahead. The quality of our work suffered because we didn’t give ourselves enough time to refine our project. While we received a passing grade, I couldn’t help but think that the project could have been so much more if we hadn’t rushed through it.

    Now, as a graduate student, I was determined not to make the same mistakes. This time, I would plan carefully, ensuring that I gave myself enough time to complete each task without rushing. The advice my professor was giving us about starting early wasn’t just theoretical – I had lived through the consequences of not doing so, and I didn’t want to experience that kind of stress again.

    In the days following that class, I took immediate action. I knew that if I wanted to complete my capstone project within the two-year time frame, I needed to start planning right away. The very next day, I sat down and created a timeline for my project. I broke it down into smaller tasks and assigned deadlines to each one. This way, I wouldn’t feel overwhelmed by the enormity of the project because I would tackle it one step at a time.

    One of the first things I did was set a date to select my capstone topic. Unlike during my undergraduate years, where I had waited until the capstone subject to pick a topic, this time, I wanted to start working on my project idea early. I knew that the sooner I selected a topic, the more time I would have to research and develop it. After that, I scheduled time for conducting research, meeting with potential stakeholders, drafting my proposal, and developing the initial prototype.

    Having a detailed schedule gave me a sense of control and confidence that I didn’t have during my undergraduate capstone. I felt prepared and knew exactly what I needed to do to succeed. It also helped to break the project down into smaller, more manageable tasks. Instead of looking at the capstone as one massive project that felt intimidating, I now saw it as a series of smaller tasks that I could accomplish one by one.

    Another important part of my planning process was identifying potential challenges that I might face along the way. During my undergraduate project, unexpected technical issues caused significant delays. This time, I wanted to anticipate those challenges as much as possible so that I could plan for them in advance. For example, I knew that there might be issues with coding or integrating certain technologies into my project, so I gave myself extra time to troubleshoot and fix any problems that might arise.

    By the end of my planning session, I felt a renewed sense of determination. This time, I would be ready. I wouldn’t let poor planning or a lack of time management derail my progress. My capstone project would not only meet the requirements, but it would also be something I could be proud of – a project that showcased everything I had learned during my graduate studies and something that could have a real impact.

    My professor’s advice had hit home, and I was grateful for it. I knew that by taking the time to plan now, I was setting myself up for success in the future. The pressure was still there – after all, the capstone project was no small task – but this time, I felt prepared to face it head-on.

    With the first steps of my capstone journey laid out, I began to feel a growing sense of confidence. Unlike my undergraduate years, where I had been swept up in the chaos of last-minute planning, this time, I was in control. I knew that the challenges ahead would be tough, but I felt equipped to handle them. In fact, my experience with project management in one of our advanced subjects strengthened my resolve. This time, I wasn’t just a student trying to finish a project; I was a planner and a manager of my own path, and I was ready to take charge.

    As I moved into the second month of my capstone activities, everything began to fall into place. I had outlined my tasks in such a way that I could see the bigger picture while keeping the small details manageable. The second month was all about deepening my research into potential topics. I wanted to ensure that my capstone project wasn’t just another run-of-the-mill technical solution but something that would make a meaningful impact. I thought long and hard about how to align my personal interests with the needs of my community or even a global issue. I considered various ideas, from smart technologies for disaster management to systems that could help streamline public services, such as the elder care coordination system I had conceptualized earlier.

    Research became my primary focus during this period. I spent hours combing through academic journals, case studies, and similar projects from other universities to identify gaps where my project could fit. As I reflected on the progress I had made so far, I realized that my professor’s advice wasn’t just about planning – it was also about staying adaptable. In the past, I might have been too rigid, sticking to one idea even if it wasn’t feasible, just because I didn’t want to admit that my initial plan had flaws. But now, I understand that flexibility is key to success. If one idea doesn’t work, it’s okay to pivot and try something else. As long as I kept my end goal in mind, I would eventually find the right solution.

    This phase of my journey wasn’t without its challenges. There were days when I doubted whether I could balance all the demands of graduate school with the pressure of creating a capstone project that would make a difference. After all, the capstone wasn’t just a project – it was the culmination of everything I had worked for in the program, and it felt like a test of my abilities as both a student and a future IT professional.

    But each time I felt overwhelmed, I reminded myself of how far I had come. The structured planning, the dedication to research, and the insights I had gained from others had already set me on a better path than I had been on during my undergraduate years. I wasn’t just passively waiting for things to fall into place – I was actively shaping the course of my project and my academic journey.

    As I continued my journey, one thing was certain: this time, I would not just finish my capstone project – I would excel. My professor’s advice to plan early and stay adaptable has guided me well so far, and I knew that if I stayed committed to the process, I could turn my capstone into something I would be proud of. The excitement of what lay ahead, coupled with the knowledge that I was doing everything I could to prepare, gave me the confidence I needed to keep pushing forward. This time, I would not just succeed – I would thrive.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st day of New Journey

2nd blog of my New Journey